DAVIDI met  Dr. David Warner while we were both graduate students at Washington State University.  It appears that the assault that left him unconscious and near death was initiated because he tried to do the right thing and “keep the peace” when a fight broke out.  However, I cannot help to wonder.  Was it because David Warner was an out spoken Native American with articulate views on the rights of Native Americans that his attackers beat him as brutally as they did?  Even if (when) the assailants are caught, we may never know.

However, I do know from my experiences with David Warner that he is a peace loving man.  He has strong political views, but I have never seen him do or say anything out of anger.   He is a friendly, ,jovial guy.  Whenever David talks to people about politics, he always does so with a smile and joke along with way.

He is recuperating but still in critical condition.  I look forward to another friendly, witty conversation with David about Native American rights the next time I visit Pullman.  The below is from The WSU Daily Evergreen.

At about 1:55 a.m. Saturday, David Warner, an instructor in the Department of Critical Culture, Gender and Race Studies, was allegedly assaulted when he stepped in between the three males and Warner’s acquaintance, a 31-year-old male wearing a Seattle Seahawks jersey, said Cmdr. Chris Tennant with Pullman police.

The first suspect is described as a white male, 5 feet 10 inches to 6 feet 3 inches. He was was wearing a dark button-up shirt, blue undershirt, and jeans. The second suspect is described as a white male, 5 feet 10 inches to 6 feet one inch, wearing a white undershirt and jeans. The third suspect is a white male, about 5 feet 10 inches, wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and jeans. The fourth suspect is a white female with long dark hair. She was wearing a light colored sleeveless shirt, dark pants, dark shoes and a white jacket or sweater around her waist.

Surveillance video shows Warner in the northwest parking lot of Adams Mall standing between the two factions, his armed raised, Tennant said.

“He’s trying to be the peace keeper,” he said.




Warner remains in critical condition at the ICU of Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, where he was transported after the alleged assault.

According the “Rally for David Warner” Facebook page, doctors removed parts of Warner’s skull to relieve brain swelling. He appears to be breathing on his own and his brain is responding to stories and visits from family members.

Filed under: Other

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!